A quick batch of news to keep you in the “archaeological know”!
- This week marks the 20th anniversary of the discovery of Otzi.
- There’s a new archaeologist in town and her name is Irene. Tropical Storm Irene swept through the northeastern US at the end of August causing massive damage and unearthing a mystery in Branford, Connecticut. Human remains.
- A 90-year-old tuft of hair has yielded the first complete genome of an Aboriginal Australian, a young man who lived in southwest Australia. The genome indicates a line of descent tracing back to the first humans to venture far beyond Africa more than 60,000 years ago.
- Overkill or Justice? Dennis Romboy ponders five years of litigation in the Four Corners artifact sting, which has resulted in 3 suicides. This article is a great place to start if you are unfamiliar with this case.
- October 10, 2011 is Discovery Day. Because I said so.